Dig Deep..Steal Like an Artist #25


My morning coffee cup.

I wonder what Louisa May Alcott would say 
about the book I read recently.



She would probably say that this book has turned my brain...and that's ok. It is one of those books I couldn't resist. Actually, who am I kidding, I am addicted to books like this and have a whole lot more on my Kindle. It is my little Kindle of inspiration.

I would like to share Austin Kleon's message. Some of you may connect in the same way that I did. His message is not about outright stealing of people's ideas, but rather, finding those people you admire, find out what makes them tick and try to emulate the very same. You have to dig deep and steal like an artist. I have combined Austin's words with my own..I am digging deep.

FIRST OFF
Find a thinker..
someone you admire, 
writer, artists, cabinet maker..
you choose. 
Study that person and then find 
the people they admired and study them.

Keep pictures of your thinker around you, 
use them to inspire and make you wish. 
Learn all there is to know about them.

Be curious about the world, 
look things up. 
Dig Deep.

READ READ READ
Get lost in stacks of books.
"It's not the book you start with, 
it's the book that books leads you to."
(Yes, I had to read that line several times too)

Collect books and objects that you love.

CREATE YOUR OWN WORLD
Carry a notebook and a pen with you at all times.
Keep an observation journal..write it down.
Copy your favourite passages out of books.
Practice FREE WRITING

"Best advice is not to write what you know,
it's to write what you like. 
Write the kind of story you like best- 
do the work you want to read."

TWO DESKS 
Put two desks in your office, 
one "analog" and one "digital".

The analog is for all your stationary..
the pens, pencils, markers...
all the things you need to go one step further. 
Nothing electronic is allowed.

The digital desk is for your computer, scanner, 
printer and anything else you need 
to connect to your digital world.

To this I add my own essential.. 
 a comfortable chair that rolls. 
Assuming you have a hard surface, 
you can roll back and forth with ease.

SIDE PROJECTS
Think about those side projects  
you have been thinking about or working on.

"It's the side projects that really take off. 
By the side projects I mean the stuff that you thought 
was just messing around. Stuff that's just play. 
That's actually the good stuff. 
That's when the magic happens."

TAKE TIME TO MESS AROUND
Get lost. 
Wander. 
You never know where it's going to lead you.

Have a hobby that makes you happy..
something that gives but doesn't take.

Find people on the Internet who love 
the same things as you and connect. (CHECK)

Find the space and time for solitude and creativity.

TRAVEL
Travel..to distant lands, out of your comfort zone. 
"Travel makes the world look new, 
and when the world looks new, our brains work harder."

PRAISE
When you need a mental boost, 
refer to a praise file- 
toss the emails and comment that bring you down 
and save the ones that lift you up. 

Stay grounded and in the present...
use the praise file sparingly,
 for the times when you need a creative kick.

ESTABLISH A ROUTINE
Put your goals on your calendar.
Tick it off each day.
Keep a logbook.

LIST
the
things
you
do
every
day.
Include it all.

To be continued in....

STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST
BE CREATIVE

More HERE

(CHECK)

Signing off from Chateau Mango
knowing I am in good company.
28 Day Writing Challenge #25
Vietnam Time

Collage of Life
28 Day Writing Challenge
(click on title to read)


Comments

  1. Beautiful as always sweet friend. I enjoy your postings more than you will ever know.
    Love Jeanne♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendation. Its great information to follow.
    As an artist, however, the word "steal" doesn't warm me to the author because in these Internet days, artwork being stolen/copied is such a tender issue.
    On the positive side...The author's message is spot on! I do believe understanding people we admire, and trying to emulate them, (not copy) definitely causes one to try/think deeper about their own creativity to increase their artistic skill. Its a very rewarding process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Maywyn and I almost think the title is a bit misleading. I take his point, looking for inspiration in the people we admireis helpful. If ever one has lost sight of which direction they want to take, it could help to set them back on track. And I just love that two desk idea... ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for today's post. I really appreciated it and it came at a time when I needed it. Been experiencing some rather rough patches in life and looking for a hole to crawl into which is not my nature. Woke up to a new day today and your post was inspirational. Thanks! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy...love to think that someone else is inspired in the same way that I am. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  4. I love your post. It belongs up there in the widening creativity realm. I'm taking at the present time an eCourse on creativity: Ignite Creativity from Buffalo State University. I started one week late and am trying to catch up.
    I would add: write about what you want to know. Digress to the unfamiliar.
    Thank you Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So simple Edgar, isn't it? If ever you are staring at a blank wall, wondering where the words are, just thinkg back to what you would want to read. So much more fun to write when you keep that little thought in mind. Good luck with your course. I love that you are always onto something new. You are inspiring Edgar!

      Delete
  5. i love his book also + thanks for the introduction. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy...I like that he keeps it simple. ;)

      Delete
  6. jeanne, an intelligent article with great content and explicit and implicit. The first time I read it quickly, then a second and third paused. I share with you the love of reading, writing and photography emotional and timely.
    Greetings from Madrid
    Esther-D. Abad
    memoriescollectionblog.com
    (Translated by Google)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther...thank you for the Google translate and your thoughtful words. I had a feeling we shared similar interests. Happy to have you along, and thank you for taking the time to translate. :)

      Delete
  7. I adore books. In fact I wrote about them today myself.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stopped by Brenda and added my two cents. Some great book recommendations on your post. :)

      Delete
  8. If I may add one more comment.
    You are a well travelled and have tasted food from many cultures you may appreciate a book on life, food and travel. I started reading, Life from Scratch by Sasha Martin and enjoying it. She also has a blog: http://globaltableadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Thank you Edgar! A fabulous website, I look forward to spending more time on it. ;)

      Delete
  9. I have three desks. Two as described, though the digital one is usually the dining room table. The third is for bills and necessary paperwork.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts