By Jove, I think she's got it....


Actually, it is more like... By Jove, I think he's got it. If you caught my post earlier in the week (here) you will know that I was befuddled and confounded by two crates that arrived from India. With garden shears and pliers in one hand, a slight hammer in the other, I attempted the impossible and gave up within minutes. It was clearly mission impossible.

The next day, as luck would have it, our handyman, George, popped into fix a few things around the house. This is one of the perks of living in what I affectionately call as 'the rental'. You get a handyman who you do not have to pay for.

With a smile, a twinkle in my eye and a 'poor maiden' down and out look, I enlisted the help of George. It started with..."Could you tell me what I need to open these crates?" Curiosity got the better of George. Seeing 'India' written on top he wondered what was in them. He knows us well, often commenting on the wild and exotic objects around our house.  

Lovely George, in his charming Eastern European accent...his next question..."Would you like me to open them for you?". She smiles. My friends would say I was being a 'cheeky devil'...poor unsuspecting George. In fact, that was the case.

It took a crow bar, two hammers and more muscle (he is a strapping young man) than I could have mustered to pry the planks loose from the crate. We were both intrigued and impressed by the packing. We thought it would never end.




It looked like I was giving birth...
to two small elephants.

The first to arrive...the beautiful Alice. A soft touch,
she is magnificent in her perfectly cut semi-precious stones
and weighs..a lot.


Then came the second....


Meet Albert (below,right). Kudos to Miss Claire for suggesting his name.
It is perfect. He is slightly larger, a bit bolder in colour
and as you can see from the photo below...
quite anxious to get in the house



And here they sit...Alice is front and center, 
facing the front door, next to our entry table.
 My friend Lisa, a wise woman, 
says it will bring us good look and prosperity to do so.
I like the sound of that!



Albert has taken up his rightly spot (below), next to my favourite chair. 
I even managed to get my tea cup...within reach. Clever Albert.



Oh Happy Days!
Best wishes to one and all for a lovely weekend!
From Jeanne, Alice and Albert. :)

PS..Many thanks for
your birthday wishes to Christine.
She is over the moon!

Comments

  1. Love your new friends Jeanne... they look very much at home... Happy weekend... xv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! They are charming and lovely - hope they bring you luck and happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the entire arrival, anticipation, and welcoming "birth" must have been fabulously fun! How interesting to see that they were packed up so well. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a handy man...
    I would love to have one!

    Those are charming creatures, I like that you have used one for books beside your chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those elephants are beautiful, They sure were packed well. It was fun seeing them in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're lovely, but who was the nice person who saw them and thought of you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely charming!!! Love that George :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are wonderful, great purchase!
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart woman, Jeanne!:-) I would have done the same.
    Glad they finally saw the light of day. They look as if they have lived with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne, a lovely post on How To Unpack An Elephant in 500 Easy Steps! Gosh mate I hoped you saved those packing boxes 'cos the next stop for these 2 little beauties is Vietnam. I want to reach into the computer & just rub their sweet heads for luck.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are just as lovely as I envisioned. Congratulations on finding help in opening your treasures. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done George!! Hey if you had to bat your eyelids and do your best 'poor maiden' impression then you go for it,I would have done the same thing. And they are worth it, what fantastic pieces, Alice and Albert, great additions to your collectibles.

    Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely. And fitting so well in their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how gorgeous - and just love your blog - thank you - inspiring. Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just what is called for in the New Year..and elephant with a raised trunk! Heralding in all things wonderful and prosperous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alice and Albert send thanks for your very kind words!
    Hope you all are having a Happy Happy Weekend. :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. alice and albert look like they have settled in. PS. Love the peek inside your home. You need to come decorate my flat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhhhhhh so exciting! They look wonderful in your rooms, especially with the books and teacup piled on the one.
    So Jeanne, what are you going to create with the packaging materials?

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are just divine, Jeanne! And I adored the explanation of how you unpacked them - so intriguing. Will they travel to Vietnam with you? J x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Is it me or do they have happy eyes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts