History, Travel, Food and Love...


Meredith from Count it all Joy asked what I thought of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.  I posted Wolf Hall two weeks ago under my 'currently reading' column and have to say I am still at it. I enjoy historical fiction, it started with the The Other Boleyn Girl and then a series of others including the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. I guess you could say I am hooked. I digress... back to the orginal question, yes, I am enjoying the book but suspect it will take me quite a while to finish (650 pages). A review of the book follows-
Amazon UK review:

Winner of the Man Booker Prize 2009 From one of our finest living writers, Wolf Hall is that very rare thing: a truly great English novel, one that explores the intersection of individual psychology and wider politics. With a vast array of characters, and richly overflowing with incident, it peels back history to show us     Tudor England as a half-made society, moulding itself with great passion and suffering and courage.

In the meantime, I am reading a few other books.

 A Writers World by Jan Morris


''travel writing and reportage from five decades, 
Jan Morris has produced a unique portrait of the 
late twentieth century world. 
Ranging from New York to Venice, 
Oxford to the Middle East, 
and Wales to South Africa''


"Seeking shelter in a Parisian cafe from a sudden rainstorm, 
John Patterner meets the exotic Sabiha 
and his carefully mapped life changes forever." 



The Gourmet by Muriel Barbury,
author of The Elegance of the Hedgehog.


"encompasses a series of witty reflections on the life and career 
of famous, unlovable French food critic Pierre Arthen, 
as he lies on his death bed desperate to recapture a forgotten flavor."





I Married Adventure' and 'Four Years in Paradise
by Osa Johnson

"I MARRIED ADVENTURE is a fine book on many counts...'
A good travel book, a good adventure book, 
a good book about animals, a good book on photography,
 and best of all...
a good human story about two extremely likable people, 
told by one of them with simplicity, humor, [and] warmth."
 -Rose Feld, Books

FOUR YEARS IN PARADISE...the sequel

I plan to read them all somewhere in between or after Wolf Hall
Wish me luck!

Images via Amazon, Gallic Books and Google

Comments

  1. Well, where have I been because I do not recognize the titles of any of these. Ugh! The Parisan story sounds interesting to me. I do love reading, so maybe it's time to take another spin through the local bookstore. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzie, It is not surprising that you may have not seen them. The only recent books are Wolf Hall and Lovesongs. If The Gourmet interests you I recommend starting with the first book, Elegance of the Hedgehog. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reccomendation, Jeanne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just ordered Elegance of the Hedgehog (it's our book club book of the month). Thanks so much for chatting about Wolf Hall, I feel better in the knowledge that others are finding it a little daunting also! These other titles look very inviting also. After enjoying your last recommendation of Alice Steinbach, I will definitely be looking these ones up also. Meredith xo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts